The Minnesota Fringe Festival’s emphasis on original works for theatre audiences we can get close to seemed like just the right fit for SkyVault’s brand of improv-based interactive theatre. And the Rarig Center Thrust stage at the University of Minnesota was the perfect venue for On the Road to Verona, the SkyVault ensemble’s original adaptation of Shakespeare’s Two Gentlemen of Verona.
For 11 days, from August 4 to 11, over a thousand artists in 169 original productions, as part of the Minnesota Fringe Festival, present nearly 700 performances in every discipline and genre in various theatrical venues around the Twin Cities.
Since 1994, the Fringe Festival has performed annually in the Twin Cities.. No one selects the participating shows. Instead, a lottery determines which of over 500 applicants win production slots in the festival. They describe themselves as "a performing arts festival audiences can get close to,” and encourage new works, creativity, and originality.
A youthful band of Shakespeare’s traveling companions, abandoned by the Bard, discover his notes for a new play, and determine to bring it to the stage. The story is created with audience input (no silenced cell phones here). The Bard’s minstrel companions perform original folk and jazz music using the words of the Bard.
The show was very well received, garnering a four star rating overall, with most of the reviews being either four or five stars.
- Follow the Verona Road Top level of the Verona site
- Embarking on the Journey How the story was created
- The Story What is it about?
- Interactive Facebook Experience Interacting in real time with the audience on Facebook
- Fringe Festival Premiere Learn more about our experience at the Minnesota Fringe Festival in Minneapolis
- A Shakespeare Show Without Shakespeare See what peope said about our adaptation of Shakespeare
- The Music Music is a huge part of who we are and what we do
- How the Show Was Created Learn about what went into making On the Road to Verona
- The Cast Find out who these zany actors are
- Traveling to the Renaissance How we brought Verona to The Minnesota Renaissance Festival (and bonus information on our involvement there)
- Continuing the Journey How we can bring Verona to you.
All the quotations on these pages are excerpted from unsolicited comments from theatre-goers who are active in the Minneapolis theatre world comparing On the Road to Verona with the entire spectrum of 168 different Fringe Festival performances.
(For all these excerpts in one place, click here, And a link to the unexcerpted reviews—including, of course (alas), those that are less glowing than these we have cheekily quoted, on these pages: http://www.fringefestival.org/show/?id=20160990.)